Monday, August 12, 2013

Review of Gloom the card game

Overall thoughts: I love it. And so does my wife, which is saying something.

Upsides:
  •  It has a slightly different game mechanic where you stack transparent cards on each other. These cards tell a story about how your characters day is going.
  • To win, you try to ruin your characters' days ending in an untimely death. If you've had a bad day this can be somewhat cathertic. 
  • There's a good balance: the more negatives you add to your characters are, the harder it is to stay ahead. 
  • The character designs have a lot of flavor. We have the Cthulhu version, and if you know Lovecraft, you'll understand the little sayings on the cards, etc. 
My wife thought "Tigger Man" was a funny name in comparison to Lovecraft's actual name of the cat. If you've read it, you know what I'm talking about.

Downsides:

I honestly don't know what to put here. We really like the game. Looking forward to more expansions.